ACSL Black Barrel

Post your AC designs here for review. You can also find discussions about design tips here as well.
(No autoprune.)

Moderator: AC Moderators

BitVR
MT Pilot

ACSL Black Barrel

Postby BitVR » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Just here hoping to find some feedback on my design in Silent Line.
This is my general purpose AC for use in both the arena and missions.

Head: CHD-SKYEYE
Core: MCL-SS/RAY
Arms: MAM-RE/TIN
Legs: CLM-55-RVE
Booster: CBT-FLEET
FCS: PLS-SROA2
Generator: CGP-ROZ
Radiator: RMR-SA44
Inside: N/A
Extension: KSS-AA00
Back R: CWR-S50
Back L: MWM-S42/6
Arm R: KARASAWA-MK2
Arm L: MLB-HALBERD

Optional Parts: S-SCR, E-SCR, S-STAB, E/CND, L-AXL, L/TRN, SP/E++

So does anyone see any problems? Any improvements that could be made to the design?
Deemer
Mad Scientist

Re: ACSL Black Barrel

Postby Deemer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 am

is it supposed o be overweight? cuz when I build it, its way overweight. Is this for SL on the original PS2, or the PSP version?
"do you know what this is? neither do I, I invented it in my sleep...I put a button on it. I wish to press it, but I don't know what would happen if I do" - Gune from Titan AE
Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

Postby Griffon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:07 am

He's got the AA00 and Karasawa MK2 listed, so I think he's playing the PSP version. I don't remember the stats exactly, but IIRC the SAWA MK2 was considerably lighter than the standard SAWA, so it may not be OW

The SAWA line is notable for being versatile, as is the S42/6, so good choices there. Some might think of it as a bit vanilla, but this AC should be flexible enough for just about any situation. The rockets though, I might drop. If you're awesome with them then disregard, but I've always felt a nice simple radar like the CRU-A10 to be overall more useful. It may give you enough weight to switch the HALBERD to the LS-2551, an (IMO) overall more versatile laser blade. HALBERD is good for its range but it doesn't hurt much.
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed designs, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Deemer
Mad Scientist

Postby Deemer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:18 am

yeah, I just saw that. I dont have the PSP game, so when I saw karasawa, I automatically went to the original AC3/SL version.

Assuming all the other parts are the same as in the original PS2 game.....

I would swap out the rockets. They are useful in missions when you need to hit a ranged target but dont wanna waste precious sawa ammo, but they arent too reliable in Vs. combat. the A10 back radar is always a great choice cuz it gives you all the radar coverage you would ever need. more missiles could be good too. Or also dont be afraid to possibly leave a back slot blank to save weight as long as you still have plenty of firepower.

MWM-S42/6 are one of the best stand alone missile pods in SL. if you are willing to swap your shield extensions, my personal fav missile combo are the MWM-DM24/1 back missiles along with the MWEM-R/24 relation missile extensions. its a good one to experiment with

I might consider going with a more efficient pair of boosters too. the fleet are real tempting to put on all your AC's, but your energy weapons make your AC rather energy thirsty. the UN8 and gull boosters are slower than the fleet, but both have much better power/drain ratios IMO.
"do you know what this is? neither do I, I invented it in my sleep...I put a button on it. I wish to press it, but I don't know what would happen if I do" - Gune from Titan AE
BitVR
MT Pilot

Postby BitVR » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:59 am

Sorry Deemer, I should have specified it was the PSP version.
From your suggestions I wound up switching out my booster to the Gull, and while it is slower, the drain is much easier to manage.
I've dropped the rockets and changed the side shield in favor of the R/24 which definitely makes missile barrages easier to pull off. the dm24/1 ended up making me overweight so I instead switched out the s42/6 for the s60-10 (more ammo). I couldn't add anything to the now empty back slot without going overweight, so I'm sticking with the radar the skyeye provides.
You were right about just dropping the rockets, I would mostly use them in missions to conserve Sawa ammo (the mk2 has 10 fewer shots than the original) and would almost always immediately drop them in the arena to lower my weight.
Thanks for the help, I'm still relatively new to the series (only started like 3~ish months ago), so I'm still learning all the ins and outs of making a good AC.
Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

Postby Griffon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 am

BitVR wrote:You were right about just dropping the rockets, I would mostly use them in missions to conserve Sawa ammo (the mk2 has 10 fewer shots than the original)

In the past I've considered rockets for the same reason, but honestly, I've found that 9 times out of 10 your laser blade is the best way to conserve ammo. The only kinds of MTs where rockets might be more effective are snipers.
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed designs, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Deemer
Mad Scientist

Postby Deemer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 am

I only use rockets on longer missions that require you to destroy lots of stationary targets (switches/turrets/buildings), but in most cases a blade works just as well.
The best use I have gotten out of rockets is the final Zinaida fight mission in LR. Specifically to kill the turrets cuz they can do a lot of damage before the main fight. They can clear out the turrets really quickly, then I just drop them for the fight. Zinaida is crazy brutal. so Its important to go into the fight with full ammo on your other weapons

Return to “Designs Section”