Darkest Dungeon

Moderator: AC Moderators

Deemer
Mad Scientist

Darkest Dungeon

Postby Deemer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EP3Lp2izPs

Darkest Dungeon is a really cool, and extremely challenging Lovecraftian turn based(RPG style) indy game.
At a glance the game appears to be a practice in masochism, revolving totally around RNG rather than skill. But having actually beaten the game myself, there is way more strategy to the game than people give it credit for.
"do you know what this is? neither do I, I invented it in my sleep...I put a button on it. I wish to press it, but I don't know what would happen if I do" - Gune from Titan AE
Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Postby Blight » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:28 am

Pray to RNGesus. That video though... hah, all the bad luck. It's one of the things that's appealing about turn based in a masochist way. Your whole team can be wiped in one turn. Those 100% chance to hit misses though... I've had that sort of luck.

I like the art style on this one. I like map positioning though, I didn't really see much of that here.

EDIT: That guy in the video is great!
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.
Deemer
Mad Scientist

Postby Deemer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 pm

yeah, the RNG can def be brutal, the issue with darkest dungeon is that the main component of the game is that when characters die, they are gone, forever. so it can be heartbreaking when a character you have had since the beginning dies.

I love games like this though, cuz as long as it has the right level of risk/reward, whenever you get that epic crit hit, and every time you kill a monster, its so damn satisfying it almost erases all the rage that had been building up till that point, lol.
"do you know what this is? neither do I, I invented it in my sleep...I put a button on it. I wish to press it, but I don't know what would happen if I do" - Gune from Titan AE
Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

Postby Blight » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:05 pm

That's what XCom is like. You lose a soldier and they're gone. Your team also gets different severity of injuries too. So, you have to have a "B" team in case most of your "A" team comes back with severe enough injuries that they aren't available for the next mission.

I love the tactical nature of it, as it forces you to be very strategic in troop placement as you want to be able to neutralize, or otherwise debuff their chances of getting damage onto your team. Any damage on your team during a mission can have consequences.
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.

Return to “Turn Based Games”