Some of my Favorites

Moderator: AC Moderators

Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

Some of my Favorites

Postby Blight » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:41 pm

So, since Shining Force of Sega Genesis fame I've been looking for something similar for forever. I thought the game style represented in that game, which was a turn based RPG where you can level up characters, was a one off of that particular series of games.

Then, just recently, I found Shadowrun by Harebrained Schemes and was like... Shadowrun... Pfft.... no computer game has done it justice. It's just not possible. However, this was done by Jordan Weisman, the guy who started FASA, the FASA that created Battletech and Shadowrun to begin with. Seeing as how it was on sale and cheap, I decided to give it a look see and was like, "OMG, a turn based RPG like Shining Force" and loved it.

Since then, I've opened the proverbial Pandora's Box and discovered there are a lot more games like this. XCom being one of the most popular ones. Mind... blown. I then played XCom: Enemy Within and Enemy Unknown and just recently XCom 2. I haven't done much competitive play on these, but I'm a fan of the single player campaigns (I just wish there was a co-op option there.)

Another upcoming game I supported on Kickstarter, as that's how Harebrained Schemes does their thing, is Battletech. So, turn based Mech combat, with a single player campaign and options for PvP (it hit that strech goal.)

So yeah, I've rediscovered one of my favorite genre's and found some gold there.
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.
Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

Re: Some of my Favorites

Postby Griffon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:47 pm

I myself haven't played a whole lot of turn based games unless you could some of the old-school RPGs like Pokemon and Mario RPG.
But I did really enjoy Front Mission 4 on the PS2, was upset that FM5 never got localized.

In that same vein there is/was a crowdfunding campaign for a game I'd like to try called Dual Gear, it really seems like a mix of Front Mission and Armored Core. Looks like the crowd funding fell just short of its goal for XB1/PS4 versions, but we'll see what happens, maybe. I'd play the hell out of it if it happens.

DUAL GEAR Pre-Alpha Gameplay Footage
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed metabuilds, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm working my way through Endless Legend right now. It's pretty interesting and really lets me enjoy a wild powertrip.

Another game I've been playing occasionally is called Axes and Acres. It's a little single-player strategy/board game, but it's surprisingly deep. I suck at it.
Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

Postby Blight » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:02 am

Endless Legend! What a game that is. Definitely one I play on a weekend every so often. I got the new Expansion, and tried playing the new race (can't remember the name of either off-hand), but I was pushing against some Cultists and thought I had the upper hand, only to get an unlucky no-regen curse that helped get my primary army killed off. I also dumped a ton of money into a Guardian, only to also have it killed off a few turns after, so rebuilding my army was not going to be quick.

I love a lot about that game though, including the art and the options for combat: auto, spectate, manual. It's a good change from Civilization.
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:39 pm

Yeah, Endless Legend does a lot right. It's basically my first 4X game and I'm highly impressed with it. I'm pretty amazed at the UI and all of the quality-of-life features they have like the combat, as you mentioned. I get the impression that this game was made by people who love 4X games and just want to make a solid, stream-lined game.

I had a great moment once where an army of Cultists (always the friggin' Cultists) had sieged and taken two of my cities (I was playing as the Broken Lords. I was outnumbered and with a weaker army. I thought they were unstoppable. Then I hired in a new hero, General Feeds-on-Bones III. As the new leader of my main army, his sweeping strikeback IV proved to be quite over-powered as I proceeded to curb-stomp those Cultists and take back my cities. I then continued my rampage and eventually eliminated them from the game. It was a fine moment of vengeance.

Return to “Turn Based Games”