Star Citizen

Moderator: AC Moderators

Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

Star Citizen

Postby Blight » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Okay, so Star Citizen is my other big interest these days. There's some relation to Armored Core, in that you pilot a thing that shoots. There's missiles, ballistic weapons and energy weapons. Shields are involved. There are no robots, though, there are rovers. That's like... okay, no relation.

Anyhow, figured I'd throw the old hook out there and see if anyone bites. I've just not been into Armored Core (sacrilege, I know) for ages, and so I just ignore the site, even though there are definitely community members here I miss. Checking interest in Star Citizen though, maybe I still have a chance to play together with a community I created. Or, well, was the dirt from which it flowered? I was thinking something about seeds, but then that would be making it weird.

So yeah, Star Citizen. Anyone?

Blight
SC: Malcivious
(there's that Malcivious username again, Blight is taken in sooo many places)
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Re: Star Citizen

Postby Fenrir » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:51 am

I've been playing Elite:Dangerous on and off. It's considerably more polished than what I've seen of SC at this point, and has a lot of potential. That said, I'm not sure I'm happy with the direction they're going. We'll see what happens after a few of the major upcoming updates.

I'll probably pick Star Citizen up once it gets a few coats of paint. I've been craving a good space sim for a while, and the itch was scratched. I'll come back before too long.
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:31 am

Yeah, it's very much an alpha game at this point. However, I like playing around in the universe because there's, albietly limited, experiences in the game that just don't compare to what games have done before.

The all first person thing just blows me away. One of the most mind blowing things is being on the back of a ship with the cargo bay door open, and looking out as someone flies it around. Like you said, though, it's not for everyone right now. However, it'll be worth a look for any sci-fi fan when it has some polish.

One of my favorite recent experiences was playing with another person on TeamSpeak. We were doing a mission on a station and we just finished up and we're heading back out to our ships. As we get close to the exit I hear gunfire outside. I mention I think someone is shooting at our ships so we both hurry out. I see my ship is under fire and I rush to get in it, but it explodes. So I turn and see the offender start firing at my teammates ship. I EVA over to the attacking ship, and start blasting it with a shotgun, which spooks him and distracts him from firing at my teammates ship. Meanwhile, my teammate was getting into his ship and powering up. He gets it online and starts engaging the enemy ship and chases it off. I am floating in space watching the battle. After my teammate chases off the other player he comes back and I float into his ship. We go off, and get his ship repaired, and he takes me back to a space station where I can get a new one. It was just awesome.
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:35 am

Oh, I wanted to mention Elite Dangerous too. I keep considering it, but I pre-ordered No Man's Sky and the reviews for ED seem very mixed. It keeps me from hitting the purchase button.
Blight
Master Enforcer

Re: Star Citizen 2.4 Live

Postby Blight » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Star Citizen released 2.4 to the Live servers. This brings persistence to the game and a lot of updates. This includes Alpha UEC, which is a testing currency to allow users to earn UEC in game, and purchase some gear. Body Armor/EVA suits, Clothing and personal weapons are available to purchase with aUEC currently. Ship's and ship components aren't available for purchase yet in game. It also replaces the Holotable with a Port Modification system, allowing you to edit your ship in the mini Persistent Universe and bringing in-game customization to your hanger.

It's a real nice step for the game. However, it's still in Alpha, and it's got some bugs still. It's cool to see the game coming along though.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:06 pm

I've been following Star Citizen loosely since it shattered Kickstarter records. Partly because it's so hyped that it'll become a massive popcorn event if it fails and partly because the game is so ambitious that I find it fascinating. I'm pretty hesitant to even put my feet in the water of something that even smells like MMO, but this game has a very cool goal and I hope it reaches it.
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 am

Yeah, I like the whole deal where you're a person, not a space ship. Which so often happens in Space video games (your character is a space ship basically). There is going to be Squadron 42, which is a single player campaign for the game. So, more like your standard FPS game, Doom, Halo, but with space ships. It should be a nice way to dip your toes into the game without getting any MMO on ya. ;) Squadron 42 is planned for release within a year. I think it's planned for later this year, but I'm not sure on that.

There's likely going to be more information at this years Gamescon in August.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Yeah, I think the emphasis on having a character in addition to the space ship is a good thing. EVE kind of has that, but, IIRC, the character portions aren't very emphasized.

Regarding the game itself, it's doing a lot better than I thought it would. I figured that by now the game would have crashed and burned, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it's actually starting to take shape. Hopefully it'll turn out good.
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Yeah, EVE has it. Mainly for RP I think at this point, and of course your avatar image. What I like about Star Citizen, is the ships are fully realized. Parts and components, and interiors. You can walk around on your ship, view out from the pilot seat. Ride a ship together with friends, strangers, hostile boarding parties. It's gameplay I've been waiting to play for years.
The Errant
A Dying Breed
PSN: LookOutBehindYou

Postby The Errant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:24 am

Like said above I've been checking in on SC from time to time. Really liking what I've seen so far. In the meantime I've been playing No Man's Sky.
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 am

No Man's Sky, I'll start a different topic for that.

Star Citizen, speaking of which, there was a demo of features planned for this year, late this year. 3.0 is planned to have planetside landing, among a lot of other cool stuff.

There's a demo here of them playing 3.0 at GamesCom:

At 51 minutes... it is long. It's not all current live gameplay though, but stuff planned that they are working on and planning on releasing before the end of this year.

The stuff they are doing looks good. The mission dialogs, video and dialog with NPC interaction seems awesome. But, in order for them to really do that... requires a lot of Voicework and hands on animations, etc. So I can't imagine that type of thing for every mission, especially since a lot of missions will be a sort of auto-generated thing. However, it's very promising for Squadron 42, their single player campaign based in the Star Citizen world. They'd definitely be able to do that a lot in that game as it'll be more of an on-rails experience.

The game development is slow though, they have a LOT to get sorted, and it seems like a lot of bugs once they start throwing in new features. However, where they're at now, and considering the game has at least another year of development ahead of it, what I've seen and played is promising.
Blight
Master Enforcer

Star Citizen - 2.5 is Live

Postby Blight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:50 pm

So, 2.5 just hit live servers, it brought some new ships (Argo and the Reliant) and a new spawn area for those of a less reputable lot, Grim HEX. It's an iteration on expanding the environment we have to play in. For those of a delicate nature, you may want to wait a week or two for Patch 2.5.1 (unannounced, but usually a stability patch follows a new release.) The 2.5.1 typically addresses issues when a new patch hits a much bigger audience than their smaller test environments.

Announcement: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Available
Patch Notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Alpha-250

Also, the M7A, the first size 5 weapon, is available through the UEC/REC stores. This is the first Size 5 weapon available in game. It's big.

Grim Hex should be fun to explore, it's intended for Outlaw players, however, all players should be able to access it. It has a darker, more casual style of clothes and is now the only place to get ground energy weapons and the Outlaw armors.

Personally, I was hoping to see the Caterpillar in some form, even if only Hangar ready, so that's kinda disappointing. However, I'm glad to see more progress on the game reach the general playerbase. What they showed of 3.0 (planned for later this year) at GamesCom is what I'm really excited about. That and being able to buy ship weapons in game for aUEC.

Return to “Space/Flight Sims”