Moderator: AC Moderators

Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

Mechwarrior Online

Postby Blight » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Heya Folks,

Anyone remember me? :P

Anyhow, I've played a bit of Mechwarrior Online, and I was like, you know who else might be playing? Fans of other stompy mech combat games, like Armored Core. Anyhow... I made the forums. Lets see what kind of interest there is.

Blight
MWO: Malcivious
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.
The Errant
A Dying Breed
PSN: LookOutBehindYou

Re: Mechwarrior Online

Postby The Errant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:01 am

I've been playing MWO for a few years now. Callsign there is the same as here: The Errant. Currently working my way up through Tier 2. Internet is pretty terrible where I'm at now but I still game a few times a week. Add me and when you're game hit me up and we can drop!
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 am

Sounds good! I think a few mechs I pre-ordered are available for me now to play. I mean, dat pre-order bonus, amirite!?

I think I've been hanging around Tier 3, the lower end of it. I was solo dropping for quite a bit, but when looking for a Star Citizen group, I found a group that does Star Citizen and Mechwarrior Online (MWO), so I picked up Mechwarrior again and dropped for a bit with them. MWO is currently testing energy draw, which is a replacement for the ghost heat system currently in place. From the responses I've seen, it looks promising.

I'm waiting for that to hit live. I wanted to jump in and try that out.
The Errant
A Dying Breed

Postby The Errant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah, I've taken a few long breaks from the game. In the early days I dropped with other folks a lot, but these days I generally drop solo just because most of those people don't play anymore and the atmosphere just doesn't seem as social as it used to be. Might have something to do with the fact that PGI has fixed it to where there are separate queues for solo and group drops, so now there's less incentive to group up to avoid getting stomped by a premade. That and I suppose the more social players have joined units and do mostly faction play.

I saw they had energy draw on the public test server last week but I didn't get in on it. Still I like what they're trying to do with leveling the playing field between big alpha builds and sustained dps build, especially since the latter is most of what I run (course I also run mostly Dragons, so...yknow :o ).
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:34 am

I like MWO, but stopped playing because none of my usual group wanted to play it. No idea what Tiers are. I assume they added some kind of ranking system. I'm hesitant to get back into it though, since unlocks were slow and I only have 1 or 2 mechs with basically no pilot skills equipped. There's also the clan mechs, which seemed a bit strong and out of reach for me. I'm willing to put money into a free game, but not at their price point.

The Errant wrote: Might have something to do with the fact that PGI has fixed it to where there are separate queues for solo and group drops, so now there's less incentive to group up to avoid getting stomped by a premade.

I assumed there were enough players they could match separate smaller groups together, but never have 12 vs 4+4+4. I do remember not being able to group with more than 2 other friends before.
The Errant
A Dying Breed

Postby The Errant » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:12 am

They've honestly done a lot. Not sure at what point you were playing but since the last time I came back they've:

1) Separated group queue and solo queue as said above. No more dropping solo against an 8-man premade and getting rolled match after match.

2) Finally implemented their community warfare system, called 'Faction Play' which is a separate queue. Seems pretty popular, went a long way to revitalize the playerbase.

3) Increased c-bill rewards for playing, and giving both c-bills and match points for more and different things you do in a match, so if you played objective or support/scout you still get credit.

4) TONS of new mechs (like PHOENIX HAWK), new ones coming out all the time, and lots of the clan mechs out for c-bills now (if a bit more expensive than their IS counterparts).

5) Nerfed the Clan mechs considerably by doing things like upping heat, laser duration and reload time for weapons, as well as restricting weapon loadouts by making lots of frame slots off-limits.

6) Buffed the IS mechs by introducing quirks (some Clan mechs have them too and they boost all kinds of things, but most IS mech variants get some substantial boosts to certain weapons/weapon types).

7) Gave most of the maps graphic makeovers, tweaking/expanding the layouts and introducing variable time of day into all the made-over ones, as well as a cool intro to the made-over maps with the mechs entering the match in a dropship and actually dropping out of them into the map at the start of the match.

8) Introduced a few brand new maps.

9) Implemented a voting system in Quick Play for map and game mode--players choose from four maps and three game-modes and whichever one gets the most votes wins. Each match you don't get your preferred choice, your vote counts for one more. So for example if you go twice and don't get the map you want, your vote on the map for your third game counts as 3 votes. These multipliers are separate between your map votes and your game mode votes.

10) Created a new game mode called Domination, basically king of the hill with a few extra tweaks.

11) Implemented a system called Player Skill Rating, based on your win/loss record if I recall right. Players are divided into five tiers, with 5 being the lowest and 1 the highest. New players begin in the middle of Tier 3. I also believe it retroactively counts all your matches since you started playing so you may find yourself higher or lower if you come back, depending on your previous record. Matchmaker tries to pair you up with players in/near your tier, and gets progressively more inclusive as wait times increase. Which reminds me...

12) Seriously revamped matchmaker to take in a lot more variables. Rarely do I have to wait more than 20 seconds to get into a match, and they're usually pretty balanced in regards to weight class and tonnage. They've stopped making such an emphasis of an even 3/3/3/3 split between classes and nowadays it's not uncommon to see 4 or 5 heavies on a team, usually at the expense of mids and lights.

13) An event of some kind nearly every weekend, giving out MC, premium time, c-bills, consumables, cockpit ornaments, etc.

Probably a few more, smaller things, but those are all the big ones I can think of. As said above, they're also working on a new game mechanic to try to move the meta away from builds that go for a high alpha-strike, and put it more in the center between them and sustained dps builds. The same update includes some tweaks to weapons to work better with the new system, including removing the charge mechanic for gauss rifles, as well as limiting all mechs to mounting no more than two gauss. That whole thing is still in the testing stages however, and devs have said they're not going to implement it until they're satisfied that it's doing what they want it to do.

Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 pm

1) Was certainly a nice change. Dropping and seeing the other team with a pre-made was real demoralizing. I've seen a lot less ROFLStomps in the games I've played recently. 12-0 is certainly far more rare... at least in the matches I've played. It may be different for different tiers.

3) Also of note is the new player bonus. I think you get something like 25 million in bonus c-bills for your first 25 or so matches. While 25mil isn't a great deal if you're buying mechs with c-bills (Assaults are crazy expensive) you're also earning c-bills on top of the bonus c-bills as your normal match rewards. It's definitely a better starting point.

5 & 6) Yeah, I'd say overall it's more balanced towards skill now than it was before. However, loadout is still very important. Especially taking advantage of those IS quirks. Clan mechs still do more damage, but the damage they do can be spread out because of the way it's dealt. Whereas IS mechs do less damage, but are better at pinpoint damage.

9) Love the map voting personally. It does mean the unpopular maps are far less common (less Modor) but I love the popular maps... most of 'em. Viridian Bog has grown on me though. One of the better things I've noticed is that it encourages devs to take a look at some less popular maps and re-work them.

11) Yeah, as mentioned, you get less ROFLStomp matches.

13) Free MC is the best MC! :D

Also, they're removing the charge mechanic on Gauss? I might actually be able to use it now? I just never got that charge thing down. It's okay if you're only shooting the Gauss, but if you're mixing in other weapons, it throws off my rhythm. Usually at that point the Gauss is just ineffective, and that's a lot of slots and tons for a paperweight.

There's a lot of good options now in the game though, and brawling and sniping are both pretty good. However, both those playstyles can be ruined based on how the rest of your team is playing, so it's a tossup in PuG's. Missiles are the most affected overall. They can be extremely useful, or useless, and are the most dependent on your team. However, even those can have modules that can help a lot when your team isn't co-operating.

Also... Trial Mechs! They've changed these a bit so most of them are actually useful and have player recommended loadouts.

Also Also... mech resizing. So a lot of those oversized IS mechs that made them easier to hit are now smaller. Notably, the Caterpillar.

I think you'll still be hurting for GXP and C-bills if you're not interested in spending actual money, and the Mech Skills make a noticeable difference in gameplay, and you basically need to skill up 3 chassis in order to max those out. So, for instance, you'll need to buy and play with 3 Hunchback in order to max skills on your favorite chassis, or use a lot of GXP. Then there's the modules, which are as expensive as mechs, c-bill wise, and they can be quite useful. So, there's still a tedious grind if you're not interested in spending cash, however, the gameplay is greatly improved overall and worth playing 25+ matches to max out rewards on a give-away weekend.
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Well, I reinstalled it. I'm not thrilled about the grind -- I forgot about having to play the same chassis with variants in order to progress. I'd much rather have a few different types to swap around.

On the upside, I had more than I thought stacked up (though still not a lot). 2 spiders and an AC-40 Jager. So something to have fun with, at least. Downside is, I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, lol. Something about unlocking modules.

Return to “Mech Games”