What's everybody been up to?

Free for all forum, rules still apply.

Moderators: Off Topic Mods, AC Moderators

Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

What's everybody been up to?

Postby Griffon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:31 am

Not gonna lie guys, it's sad to see the ACG hardly being used anymore. It's practically a ghost town. Not that I don't understand, the series that connected all of us has gone in some very different directions, and thus so have we. But I know a few of us still check in from time to time, so I want to ask what have you guys been up to? What's been consuming your precious leisure time, if not Armored Core?

Happy and I are still engaged, haven't completely tied the knot yet because every time we get enough stuff settled down to start planning something that big and expensive, something else comes up. But aside from some family-related drama that I won't go into, things have been going well for us.

On the gaming front, I've been concentrating on mostly fighting games now, particularly 2D fighters. Mostly playing Guilty Gear Xrd, I've been a fan of Guilty Gear for about as long as I've been an AC fan and Xrd is the first brand new GG fighting game to come out in over a decade (The last one, Guilty Gear XX, got like, 5 updated versions over that decade). Aside from Guilty Gear, another favorite of mine would be King of Fighters XIII. I also enjoyed BlazBlue, Under Night In-Birth, and Ultra Street Fighter 4.

When not fighting it up, I have gotten back into Gunpla a bit more, having finally gotten a dedicated place where I can get some serious work done like sanding, seam filling, and painting, and not just snap them together. My first (and thus far, only) completed one is an old 08th MS Team Zaku II.

Before

After

So how about you guys? What have you been doing out there in the non-ACG world?
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed metabuilds, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Timerlane
Raid Starship

Re: What's everybody been up to?

Postby Timerlane » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Is that literally the same model? Wow.

Buried in snow up here in the Northeast. I almost feel like I can't remember a time when there weren't 4-10ft walls of snow piled up everywhere.

Lot of Team Fortress 2, but also the Half-Life 1 Anthology and SupCom:FA. Yes, until 2014, I had not ever played HL1 or Supreme Commander.
- Timerlane, Forum Admin of the ACGarage.
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:03 pm

I just got a new gunpla setup myself. I haven't had a chance to get going with it though, since it's in the garage and still cold here. That Zaku looks nice, I hope I can get the same results.

Gaming wise, I've been casually playing CS:GO recently. Mostly I have a backlog of single player games I want to play but never make the time. Like, I picked up verdict day, but haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet. I'm pretty pumped about the new wave of arena shooters coming down the pipe with a free unreal engine (good for mappers, which I might try my hand at).

I recently passed all my qualifying exams and have a Masters in Astrophysics. Big weight taken off my shoulders. Doing some pretty cool science working toward a PhD, though right now it's mostly getting computer code to play nice.
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Timerlane wrote:Lot of Team Fortress 2, but also the Half-Life 1 Anthology and SupCom:FA.

Very cool. Played a little TF2 when I borrowed the Orange Box (mostly for Portal, admittedly) several years ago and it was a pretty damn fun game. But it was the PS3 version, I understand the PC version is a hundred times better in every way.

Fenrir wrote:I just got a new gunpla setup myself. I haven't had a chance to get going with it though, since it's in the garage and still cold here.

Yeah, I feel you there, I've only just now gotten back to work on touching up my old Gaplant kit for that reason. Then again, being in SoCal it gets warmer considerably earlier. :P

Fenrir wrote:I recently passed all my qualifying exams and have a Masters in Astrophysics. Big weight taken off my shoulders. Doing some pretty cool science working toward a PhD, though right now it's mostly getting computer code to play nice.

Holy cow, that's outstanding! Way to go dude!
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed metabuilds, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Things have been a big mix for me. I finally graduated in 2013 with my bachelors in Computer Information Systems and have been living and working in the Metro Detroit area since. I started out working as a programmer, but was so miserable I nearly killed myself on many occasions. I eventually left that job and took up a "between jobs" kind of job doing seasonal tech support for H & R Block. Currently I'm try to get into software QA, but have been having trouble getting even an interview. There aren't a lot of entry-level QA positions available. Lots of mid-level to senior-level position though. :evil: Otherwise, I feel like Takemoto from Honey & Clover right now--I've hit a wall where life seems totally pointless.

Also, I look really fucking different.
Mr. Robot
Explosives PhD
PSN: Robot_ACG

Postby Mr. Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 am

Since I was last active, graduated from college, got a job around town, and just sort of doing that. Still been living the cheap college student lifestyle though, so I managed to pay my enormous college debt off pretty fast.

Gaming wise, I've been playing quite a bit of League of Legends for the past several years with sprinkles of some other stuff, especially Civilization V and Beyond Earth. I know an awful lot of people that play LoL though, so it is easy to let it take up a lot of the time since we all just play it together.
Mr. Robot wrote:What are you so sad about?

Tieria=Veda now :P

ya, but veda doesn't look hot in a dress. :(
Amrius
Disciple of Reason

Postby Amrius » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:05 am

Graduated college and got a job doing tier 1 IT support in a call center. Don't like it much though, probably going to quit soon. Don't mind the support so much, but I just don't like waiting for people to call in with problems instead of having a list of stuff and going from there. Plus the whole talking to people over the phone thing. Not my bag. Hoping to find something on the system or network admin side, less people interaction and more involvement in the actual systems.

As far as gaming goes, been mostly just plowing through some of the older games I have that I never played. Finished Bioshock for the first time yesterday. Gonna start Ori and the Blind Forest now. Have high hopes, love the art style.

Timerlane wrote:Lot of Team Fortress 2, but also the Half-Life 1 Anthology and SupCom:FA. Yes, until 2014, I had not ever played HL1 or Supreme Commander.

Hah. I still have yet to play any Half-life game myself. I've seen them played plenty, never played them myself. Still on my list, along with like 80 other Steam games I own but never played.

Fenrir wrote:I recently passed all my qualifying exams and have a Masters in Astrophysics. Big weight taken off my shoulders. Doing some pretty cool science working toward a PhD, though right now it's mostly getting computer code to play nice.

Wow, nice. Masters and working to PhD. Way more book learnins than me. Science has always been a big passion for me, kudos for actually going to school for it.

Promethius wrote:Things have been a big mix for me. I finally graduated in 2013 with my bachelors in Computer Information Systems and have been living and working in the Metro Detroit area since. I started out working as a programmer, but was so miserable I nearly killed myself on many occasions. I eventually left that job and took up a "between jobs" kind of job doing seasonal tech support for H & R Block. Currently I'm try to get into software QA, but have been having trouble getting even an interview. There aren't a lot of entry-level QA positions available. Lots of mid-level to senior-level position though. :evil: Otherwise, I feel like Takemoto from Honey & Clover right now--I've hit a wall where life seems totally pointless.

Oh God, all of that. I know all of that. The whole life feeling totally pointless thing is why I want to make a change in my life. I don't like what I do, so going to work feels like an obligation and it makes me feel like I don't have enough time for things I actually want to do. The whole lack of entry level jobs in IT, I know that feel too. It's such a fickle industry with outsourcing so common, you really have to be on top of the market or know someone to get any sort of foot in the door until you can pad your resume with enough stuff to set yourself apart. Totally sucks.

Mr. Robot wrote:Since I was last active, graduated from college, got a job around town, and just sort of doing that. Still been living the cheap college student lifestyle though, so I managed to pay my enormous college debt off pretty fast.

Gaming wise, I've been playing quite a bit of League of Legends for the past several years with sprinkles of some other stuff, especially Civilization V and Beyond Earth. I know an awful lot of people that play LoL though, so it is easy to let it take up a lot of the time since we all just play it together.

Getting student loans paid off is huge. Congrats. I didn't take out any loans when I went, just paid with what I had at the time. Was able to graduate debt free but took me way longer than normal to graduate, so i'm older than a lot of my colleagues, which can be kind of a weird feeling sometimes.

I'm always amazed at how popular LoL and Dota 2 are. Moba's aren't my thing so I don't really get the draw but clearly they're doing something right.
I suck at life.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am

Amrius wrote:Oh God, all of that. I know all of that. The whole life feeling totally pointless thing is why I want to make a change in my life. I don't like what I do, so going to work feels like an obligation and it makes me feel like I don't have enough time for things I actually want to do. The whole lack of entry level jobs in IT, I know that feel too. It's such a fickle industry with outsourcing so common, you really have to be on top of the market or know someone to get any sort of foot in the door until you can pad your resume with enough stuff to set yourself apart. Totally sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that someone else feels the same way. You have my sympathies. The job situation isn't so bad if you like programming though. The exact opposite of everything we complain about is true of programming: tons of entry level jobs. I get calls from recruiters several times per week asking me if I'm interested in a programming job. I literally got three calls yesterday from recruiters about that. And when I do speak to a recruiter, they always say in response to what I'm looking for "Well, if you were looking for a programming job, I'd have a position available for you."

I didn't mention it earlier, but one hobby I've been trying to get into lately is miniature painting (e. g. Warhammer). I'd been looking for a hobby for a while since video games have died for me and when Griff posting his Zaku up there it reminded me that I really enjoyed model building and painting when I was a kid. So I jumped in and bought some paints, brushes, and a few miniatures. Here's the only one I've painted so far that has turned out halfway decent.

DrkOmiter
Trigger Happy
PSN: Omittere

Postby DrkOmiter » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:13 am

Well a lot has happened since last time here...

Didn't finish a college program but do plan on eventually doing something. Mad respect for those of you who did finish. Probably will go back for CS since having that career type apparently take my life over.

Married my awesome wife last year and bought a house last September. Now have a minion on the way due November :mrgreen:

Income comes from a systems engineer gig that primarily revolves around designing infrastructure as a service solutions for software product engineers. What they don't know is they are all designed to prolifically spawn aggressive sentient computer instances to initiate a hostile takeover of the world. Still working the bugs out...

Hobby besides computers is restoring a 91 MR2 Turbo.
"You idiot, you own a Macintosh! The file is f*cking gone, it's just GONE!"
The Dark One
Psychosexy
PSN: TheDarkOne198

Postby The Dark One » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:14 pm

I have not been here in quite some time. I kept saying I wanted to check in,but kept procrastinating or just simply forgot to. I remember when I had to check this place every day.

I myself have been getting more into PC gaming,since I built my own PC last year but I still crank up the old dusty PS3 from time to time. Dont have a PS4 yet,as I dont have the income to afford the system,at least one game and PS Plus. Thats over 500 dollars if you think about it. I just cannot throw 500 bucks around that frivolously. I am hoping they drop the price soon.

As for my life,as some may know,I tried moving west years back and my uncle being murdered (a sort of shady past catching up to him,kind of scenario) made us come back for trials and such. Since then,both of my grandmothers passed away. One from heart failure and the other from kidney failure after a transplant she should not have even bothered to get. Those things kept me from going anywhere again but now I am ready to try once more to get out of the backwards state of Alabama. My house is for sale and once it sells,I will be moving to Washington state,to a city called Port Angeles. Nestled right between the sea and a mountain range,its gonna be gorgeous and much more mild weathered than here. I cant wait to live some where that doesnt have so much humidity that you can drink the air and gets near 90 degrees in May. Not sure what I will do when I get there,but getting there is the main plan right now.

BTW,Griff,I would have thought you would have married her long ago,lol. Shit happens I guess,cant control everything. I know you will get there soon. 8)
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Squall
Furry LoD

Postby Squall » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:53 am

Well....

I've been busy as the art department for a graphic novel series in development, and my valka creations are actually a part of the galaxy it tkes place in, as well as a tabletop game in development as well. yeah, my work is finally paying off.

I lost several members of my immediate family in a series of weeks in a hellish bloodbath of a summer this damn 2015. I have, thus far, survived though.

SO mainly art and grief.

I remember the days this place was wildly active and alive.....it saddens me greatly to see it so quiet now.

......I also remember the days when I first joined and my spelling was so......god awful heh. Glorious.

I am the Squirrel King now, too. That is who I am.

The Squirrel King.
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Squall wrote:Well....

I've been busy as the art department for a graphic novel series in development, and my valka creations are actually a part of the galaxy it tkes place in, as well as a tabletop game in development as well. yeah, my work is finally paying off.

I lost several members of my immediate family in a series of weeks in a hellish bloodbath of a summer this damn 2015. I have, thus far, survived though.

SO mainly art and grief.

I remember the days this place was wildly active and alive.....it saddens me greatly to see it so quiet now.

......I also remember the days when I first joined and my spelling was so......god awful heh. Glorious.

I am the Squirrel King now, too. That is who I am.

The Squirrel King.

DAMN,man! Sorry to hear about your family,my condolences. You will always be "The Damn Furry" and I miss those of this place being that active too,even those things going down in the off topic controversial section. Lots of fun was had there and now its a graveyard,I believe,like the rest of ACG :cry:
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Squall
Furry LoD

Postby Squall » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:23 am

Thank you.

So very much. For everything.

That aside, art out the wazoo heh.

here....have a picture.

Ezri Endymion.jpg
Ezri Endymion.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

And another!

1335954031.squallendymion_squallendymionpostapoc.png.jpg
1335954031.squallendymion_squallendymionpostapoc.png.jpg (60.73 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

Oh what are the rules on pictures like art again? because sometimes I draw intense things that aren't of a happy nature. mature for gruesome violence action yes?
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:18 pm

haha,I like the first one,makes me think of Rurouni Kenshin.The second one,Han Solo. For me,nothing is too bloody,art wise. I relish watching things like Hellsing,haha.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Squall
Furry LoD

Postby Squall » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:22 am

HEH ok, I'll put it in the mature forum then heh.
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:49 am

That's pretty damn good, man. That second one, the guy with the super-soaker, is perhaps the best I've seen from you yet. Seems every time you post some pictures there's noticeable improvement.

Unfortunately I've lost my awesome gunpla setup, but not before I finished my Gaplant. Happy's uncle doesn't live too far, maybe if I ask nice he'll let me set up shop there. :P
Attachments
20150807_001319.jpg
20150807_001319.jpg (844.29 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
20150807_000818.jpg
20150807_000818.jpg (875.18 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:03 am

nice,makes me wanna watch some Gundam haha. Say hi to Happy for me,she's always been cool in my book,miss the old times with her too,talking about shit. Damn,nostalgia is a bitch sometimes. Where is that time machine when you want it,haha.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Very nice. I finished repainting an old GOUF flight type just to test the setup, and it came out pretty well, but not half as nice as that. I'll post pictures at some point.

Gundam has a lot coming down the pipe these days. The blu-ray remaster of 0079 is looking good - and reasonably-ish priced. The new series is also looking good. Give it a shot.

Nostalgia-wise, I think a get-together on skype or some game was discussed at some point in another thread, but nothing came of it. If people are interested, we could still make it happen. Though I've been super busy with a wonky schedule and probably can't make a time commitment :(. I feel like a lot of us are in the same boat.
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 pm

I wouldn't mind,but on the 30th,I will be moving my skinny butt to a city called Port Angeles in Washington state (yes I know,the travesty that was Twilight took place there,in part though it was actually wasn't filmed there). Will likely have no net for a bit after that,for a while. I am looking forward to it,finally getting out of the deep south,haha.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Mobius 1
Raven
PSN: Virtuous_Seraph
GamerTag: Hawk0fEndymion

Postby Mobius 1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:56 pm

"What's everyone been up to?"

Me: Image

.....Yeahp.

Personally I've been mostly in school the past five years. Not that I was extremely active in my time as it is. But I'm making the rounds back to all my old places sorta.

So. Sup guys, what'd I miss?
より多くの成果を獲得することで、存在意義を達成する

Return to “Open Discussion”