Dark Souls 3

Moderator: AC Moderators

Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

Dark Souls 3

Postby Griffon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Huzzah! And with that, Dark Souls 3, the newest, and possibly last, game in the Dark Souls series has been released today. Took off work early just to pick it up, though they guys that imported it got a pretty hefty head start.

But yeah, it's just about as difficult as you'd expect, been playing for several hours now and probably died 20+ times :mrgreen: The changes made to it are pretty crazy, feeling like a mixture of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. I was planning on going full heavy tank like I did in DS, but there's no midpoint now between "light rolling" and "fat rolling" so it's taking some getting used to.

Anybody else playing it/thinking of picking it up?
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed designs, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Re: Dark Souls 3

Postby Fenrir » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:54 am

I'm rolling pyromancer this first playthrough. Trying to stay spoiler-free. New animations are more fluid (good), but less game-y and hard to get used to. Really liking the tie-ins with other games in the series.

I miss sleep.
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:37 am

Pyromancer? Nice. I went pretty tanky in the first Dark Souls and was thinking of changing it up for this one, considering Bloodborne got me used to a much faster style of play. But when I found out my favorite armor set from DS1 was returning (Black Iron set), looks like I'm a tank again. I'll save my lightweight class for another play through. But yeah, I used pieces of the Black Iron armor set in DS1, but kept the Elite Knight helmet because I always liked how that classic style of helmet looked, but was always really tempted to use the Black Iron helmet (anyone here who has played DS1 can probably guess why). So since I've already played through the first one with a regular helmet, it's time to use this one. :mrgreen:
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed designs, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm considering picking this up for PC. I'm kind of burnt out on Dark Souls, so I'm hesitant to try another (I'm at the final boss in Dark Souls, but I just can't care), but this game looks really beautiful. The combat looks more fluid and the monsters seem quite challenging. I'm also loving the aesthetic. It looks like they really pushed the series forward.
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Sun May 01, 2016 6:31 pm

That they did. The combat is a lot faster, having mixed it with a little bit of BloodBorne's style.

I'm at what I believe to be the last boss (area not pictured), certainly enjoying my tanking build. Rocking mostly the Black Iron (aka Jack-O) armor set with Exiled gauntlets and leggings for that little bit of extra beefiness. Along with the Black Iron Shield, one of my favorites from DS1, and the Dragonslayer Spear, another weapon I really wanted to try in DS1 but didn't because I didn't have a specific stat high enough and my Black Knight weapons were way too OP anyway.

Odin
Whose next?
PSN: TheDaylightCurse

Postby Odin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:53 am

Does anyone actually have it for PC?

I really want to get it sometime but I do not have a controller (though I'm sure I could find some pretty cheap ones that'll work with a PC over here in Vietnam) and I'm just generally poor.
Anyone know if it's nice to play with KB/mouse?
I have my doubts.

Never even got to play DS2 =[
Fenrir
RocketMan

Postby Fenrir » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 am

I'm on PC, but using a PS3 controller and the ScpToolkit and some bluetooth dongle I've had forever. Can't say about KB/M, but it's probably not great.

I'd still recommend picking up Scholar on steam sale this week. The DLC areas in particular are very good, and the combat was overall better than in 3 imo. It's also likely cheaper than DS3 :).
Odin
Whose next?
PSN: TheDaylightCurse

Postby Odin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:57 am

Even if it was ten cents I couldn't afford it at the moment -_-
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:24 pm

The first DLC for Dark Souls 3, "Ashes of Ariandel", has just been revealed!

Looks pretty great just by looking at that. The wooden bridge looks an awful lot like the beginning of the painted world, so I'm wondering(hoping?) there's a connection. Perhaps a reveal that the painted world in DS1 was based on an existing location?
The Errant
A Dying Breed
PSN: LookOutBehindYou

Postby The Errant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:17 am

Dirk and I bought it shortly after release, but I haven't played it in a while. Still, really happy about lots of the changes they made, especially to magic, bringing back a bit of that old Demons Souls feel. Also Herald is the class I've been waiting for, again since Demons Souls. Will definitely pick it back up for the expansion, maybe earlier if the bug bites.
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:33 am

Nice. You'll probably be picking it up for PC, I assume?
The Errant
A Dying Breed

Postby The Errant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:23 am

You are correct sir!
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Fenrir
RocketMan

Postby Fenrir » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:25 am

I'll be playing again once the DLC comes out. I'll be up for some co-op then.
The Errant
A Dying Breed

Postby The Errant » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:29 am

Not sure if my internet will be able to handle it when the time comes but I'll be game to give it a shot.

Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:57 pm

I'd love to join you guys, but I'm on PS :roll:

Return to “Other From Software Titles”