No Man's Sky

Moderator: AC Moderators

Blight
Master Enforcer
PSN: BlightAC

No Man's Sky

Postby Blight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 am

So, this game has some interesting things going on for it, there was certainly a lot of hype involved. I got the game and have been playing it a bit.

So, it's got some neat exploration stuff. The first problem I ran into was inventory space. So, I've basically been working on resolving that before really progressing in the game at all. However, they intended for you to earn it all over time as you progress. I just want to get all my inventory slots upgraded, and resources gathered then go about exploring, etc. Especially since you can't take 'all' your stuff when you upgrade.

So yeah, so far it's been tedious, and the seed based generation leads to some weird buggy stuff. It seems like they're working pretty hard on fixing it up some. Hopefully stop me from landing on ledges and falling as I auto-eject from my seat on landing.

Either way it's a new interesting experience. A bit of Space Engineers and Minecraft without the building so much, but the crafting and random generation. Plus an actual storyline to go through.
ACGarage is now on teh Facebooks.
The Errant
A Dying Breed
PSN: LookOutBehindYou

Re: No Man's Sky

Postby The Errant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:31 pm

There are two 'storylines', though they're a little bare-boned (much like AC, really). I did the Atlas storyline already and that was pretty fun, learned lots of words before the game decided to crash and wipe my 40-hour save. So I started over and now I'm journeying to the center...which is apparently going to take a long time.

Advice for starting out? Invest early in a starship with 25-ish slots while they're still cheap, before you pick up schematics for much ship tech. Once you've done that, focus on the suit. I've made most of my money mining gold and emeril crystals, and a lot of the rest farming aquaspheres/vortex cubes/gravitino balls.
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Hah, I thought I mentioned the Gold and Emeril stuff, but I must've deleted that in the part where I thought I was getting too wordy. I was doing that for a bit to earn my way to a bigger ship, but... it's so boring.

Yeah, my main goal and ambition in the game right now is to get more inventory space. I've maybe moved about 5 warp jumps in and just played around a bit on planets in a few solar systems.

EDIT: and it looks like I spent 21 hours so far, mainly doing some exploring... and a lot of working on words and inventory upgrades.
The Errant
A Dying Breed
PSN: LookOutBehindYou

Postby The Errant » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:27 am

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I've got my ship/suit/multi-tool basically the way I want them, so now I just jump and jump and only stop when I'm out of fuel for the hyperdrive or something fairly critical breaks after going through a black hole. But I'm still like 167,000 light years from the center and each jump I make (with a Warp Reactor Theta, which lets me go basically as far as the map will let me go forward) only shaves about 300-400 off of that number. Not sure I have it in me to grind my way to the center if nothing else special happens between here and there.

Also most of the milestones were topped out easily, except for two which frankly I find annoying: the zoology one and the hazard survival one. At risk of spoiling, there's a recurring NPC who gives you tech based on your completed milestones and now I'm stuck in its storyline because I haven't gotten Milestone 3 for the hazard survival one. And I'm sure the zoology one will be next or at least soon, which I haven't completed even one of yet either. Another grind I'm not sure I have the patience to do for an unsure reward.
The Errant, formerly known as Shadowspear. Because it seems like I always eventually come back to this place. :)

I don't really Armored Core anymore, but I've been heavy into MechWarrior Online lately. If you play, shoot me a friend request (same name on there, The Errant)!
Blight
Master Enforcer

Postby Blight » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:48 am

Right, yeah. The tedium is real. 167k Lightyears, holy hell. It seems more of a sandbox, a sort of, here's is a ton of stuff to explore. Do what you want with it. However, as it's all seed based, the biggest enjoyment is when the seed gives you bonkers stuff.

Return to “Space/Flight Sims”