The Avengers

Discuss TV, movies, books, and all non-Armored Core games or gaming systems here.

Moderators: Off Topic Mods, AC Moderators

ClefJ
The Seraphim
GamerTag: ClefJ

The Avengers

Postby ClefJ » Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Man ... man ... So good. This truly is Marvel's finest hour.

But like the group of extraordinary people portrayed on screen, this was a team effort. Everyone brought their A game to this project. It wasn't enough that Whedon came on board and completely rebuilt the film from scratch but everyone on screen was simply put a joy to watch. No actor on the team, however, is more deserving of praise than Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk. Being the third person to play the character on the big screen, Ruffalo had a lot to go off of and still managed to make the role his own. Not only that but is apparently the best interpretation of Banner yet. And it is no understatement in saying that Hulk completely steals the show.

Still, it's hard not to give praise to Whedon. After doing a complete rewrite of the first draft, he has given us a story that's worthy of Marvel's most precious property. Everything Whedon is found in the film. His witty dialogue, characterizations and also willingness to kill off major or beloved characters. There are stakes in the film and it's because of Whedon that we feel it.

It has been a long time that we have seen a film embrace itself so fully and have total fun with what's occurring onscreen. The characters are as remembered from the source material – this should make sense as Whedon often works as a writer for Marvel and knows these characters inside and out. It is almost sad that this film does beg for you to have watched the previous films to understand anything that is going on. There are also some characters left to the wayside in terms of characterization due to run time. Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) does have moments where he shines but ultimately there wasn't enough time to flesh him out as a character. Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is as delicious as he was in Thor, if not more, but wasn't a major threat to the team most of the time. Still, there wasn't a scene he was in that wasn't enjoyable. I doubt there even was a scene that I absolutely didn't enjoy.

The film has a lot of strong points going for it. I couldn't find a Bad point, as I waited for an opportunity to jump out and use the restroom in a dull part, but it never arrived. The film is fun and should be. It helps that good acting, terrific action directing, insanely enjoyable dialogue and memorable character moments made the film that way.

So, ACG, how'd you guys like it? I know by now that some of you have your mind completely blown, and we all share this soup of brain that writhes from the awesome. Huzzad.
"Clef Cross built an Armored Core in a CAVE... with a box full of SCRAPS."
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Re: The Avengers

Postby Promethius » Fri May 04, 2012 5:36 pm

I agree. This movie is awesome. Yes, the Hulk steals the show. I didn't expect him to play much more of a role than the others, but they really made him shine.
Amrius
Disciple of Reason

Re: The Avengers

Postby Amrius » Fri May 04, 2012 11:28 pm

After the initial braingasm wore off, i've had time to think back on the movie and I did manage to find one thing that bothers me about it: Of the Marvel prequel movies, you're basically required to see Thor and Captain America to understand what's going on in the story of this one. The 2 Iron Mans and The Incredible Hulk would be good to see to understand the characters (Well, okay, just the Iron Man movies since Edward Norton got his ass kicked off the project) but they aren't necessary to understand the plot of Avengers. Given this, it seemed to me like Thor and Captain America got the least amount of attention in this movie. Sure, Cap was giving out orders at the end and Thor was kicking ass but by and large this movie was focused on Stark, Banner, and Fury. Maybe a little bit of Black Widow too. But basically until the climax, Cap and Thor were like "Hey, we're here too."

Aside from that...OMG BEST MOVIE EVER! MORE! MORE! MORE! HULK SMASH!
I suck at life.

Return to “General Media”