DIGGIN' GAMES! (Minecraft/Terraria)

Discuss TV, movies, books, and all non-Armored Core games or gaming systems here.

Moderators: Off Topic Mods, AC Moderators

Village Baka
Fortress Tank

DIGGIN' GAMES! (Minecraft/Terraria)

Postby Village Baka » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Really? No one had a thread about either of these games up yet? Wow.

So who has either one? If you got Terraria, add me on Steam: "VillageBaka" is the name (shocker, I know).

And how about that Minecraft, eh?
FOR THE GREATER WEEABOO
Squall
Furry LoD

Re: DIGGIN' GAMES! (Minecraft/Terraria)

Postby Squall » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Well I got em, but then again you know that, you got them for me, and I've been playing em with ya for a while hehe. I need to get them installed on THIS most recent OS install though haha!
Enzo03
MT Pilot

Postby Enzo03 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 pm

I've got Minecraft. I usually only play with people I know though. I tried several public servers and things didn't go well.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
Squall
Furry LoD

Postby Squall » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Public Servers for games like that are usually crap, the malicious side of people REALLY comes out in those, as well as the conniving, cowardly sneakass side too, who will destroy everything a person has made...when that person is not online to defend or repair it, urgh...
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:00 pm

I've got Minecraft. I skipped Terraria because it's too similar to Minecraft.

I go through phases with this game. Some days I'll really love it, the next day I'll be totally bored with it. It's certainly a cool game. I primarily play single-player, but it would be fun to play with people I actually know.
Squall
Furry LoD

Postby Squall » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Terraria is actually more like a Melee version of Metroid, with digging ability, than a minecraft clone, its more battle focused. Not to mention sidescrolling. Equipment doesn;t break in it either. Game is different.

I have, and play both games, just irritates me when anyone calls one a clone of the other, or too similar to the other, or anything like that, because the mining/construction elements are the only thing similar and even then are executed in somewhat different ways, the primarily gameplay takes different routes from there, one is FPS the other is sidescrolling, one is more focused on maintaining a constant supply to maintain a stock of viable equipment, the other is focused on fighting monsters.
Village Baka
Fortress Tank

Postby Village Baka » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Yeah, Terraria is way more of an RPG than a building game. You CAN build, for sure, but it's not nearly the focus of the game like Minecraft is. Like Squall said, it's more about fighting; you focus mostly on gaining resources to make weapons and armor, which allows you to go adventuring and exploring for powerups, special equipment, and materials to make better gear, allowing you to explore more, getting more items and better materials, etc. etc. and along the way building houses which various NPC merchants can move into, defeating boss monsters and randomized armies which can attack your "town" (both of which can drop rare accessories, gear, and materials) and getting powerups to permanently increase your health/mana. It's kind of like a randomly-generated Metroid RPG.

A comparison between it and Minecraft is basically inevitable. I'd say the core mechanic of Minecraft (dig + build) is better, but Terraria has BUCKETS more content and stuff to do, and also has the free content updates like Minecraft. The fact that you swing pickaxes and make houses is honestly the only similarity. For ten bucks you really can't go wrong with it. Multiplayer's way easier to do too, you just start a game and then people plug in your IP address to join; no messing with dedicated server software. Another nifty thing is that since the worlds are a finite size (which you specify upon creation) and your character itself can be upgraded, you can freely move your characters between your own worlds and online, bringing their stats and inventory with them.
FOR THE GREATER WEEABOO
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 am

Well, I downloaded Terraria (didn't want to spend the money without knowing whether or not I'll enjoy the game) and I'm finding it much more enjoyable than Minecraft. I enjoy the music more, as well. The crafting and combat are a bit more fun to me. As far as I'm concerned Minecraft doesn't even have a combat system. Not in the sense that I'm denying its existence, but in the sense that the one they have is so far from completion as to not even consider it as existing.
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:38 am

I don't personally play these games, but I see the appeal. Time constraints, etc.

That said, a couple of my friends put together a Hunger Games game of Minecraft on reddit, and it went pretty well. I watched a livestream of the game. It turned out to be more entertaining than I imagined. Some good kills. The game-mode/idea isn't new, but it is new for this sub-reddit. Whatever that has to do with anything. idk, take a look:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecrafthg/
ClefJ
The Seraphim
GamerTag: ClefJ

Postby ClefJ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Tralk, please.

"Clef Cross built an Armored Core in a CAVE... with a box full of SCRAPS."
Village Baka
Fortress Tank

Postby Village Baka » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 am

Here's what I got right now.

It's too long to see the whole foundation even with view distance maxed, but to get an idea of how big, the "break" in the wall on the upper left (which is actually a gate) is the halfway point for that wall. The whole thing is roughly 120x220 blocks, and the walls are about 30 high. Also, see the snaking bluish-green line of discoloration on the grass? That's actually a river, buried underneath. Since there's obviously no naturally flat space that large, I had to make a humongous "platform" of dirt to built on. Took me FOREVER.

...and the wall's not even a third finished yet. Even if I do finish it, I have no idea what I'd put inside. Ideas?
FOR THE GREATER WEEABOO
ClefJ
The Seraphim

Postby ClefJ » Thu May 03, 2012 1:42 am

D8 it's ... beautiful. What are you Making there? Can't be just walls. That's like ... a superb foundation to make the Colliseum, or a full castle town, or a model ship, or some crazy pixel-art. Shwoo nice so far.
Amrius
Disciple of Reason

Postby Amrius » Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 am

Hey Clef, did you design that keep and gate yourself or did you base it off something?
I suck at life.
ClefJ
The Seraphim

Postby ClefJ » Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 pm

totally mine. Well, I worked with tried and true designs anyways. The keep was inspired by a Scottish tower I saw in a book once. XD

Here's more of it:

Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Sat May 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Speaking of digging games... I recently started playing dwarf fortress, and have become somewhat addicted.

I wonder if there's a dwarf fortress -> minecraft script... It would translate fairly well, with some ignoring of the differences between tree types, etc.

Return to “General Media”