Hawken(independent dev does pseudo-AC/MW FPS)

Discuss TV, movies, books, and all non-Armored Core games or gaming systems here.

Moderators: Off Topic Mods, AC Moderators

Timerlane
Raid Starship

Hawken(independent dev does pseudo-AC/MW FPS)

Postby Timerlane » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 am

Relevant to our general interests:
Interview

Off. Trailer

Early Gameplay
- Timerlane, Forum Admin of the ACGarage.
Deathlok
101st
PSN: BossJ592

Re: Hawken(independent dev does pseudo-AC/MW FPS)

Postby Deathlok » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Didn't watch the the interview but the gameplay looks fairly solid.
How much can you customize is my only question...
Join the team , add my PSN
-Battlefield Bad Company 2 , 1943
-Front Mission Evolved
-GranTurismo 5
Timerlane
Raid Starship

Postby Timerlane » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 pm

The interview is just an article(not another video), and the game is still a WIP(at the time of the article, the game had been put together in only 9 months, so not everything was finalized).

At least three different Mechs(Light, Medium, Heavy), swappable weapons, and upgrades to the weapons, but they say they want to focus on skill/strategy over parts/tech oneupmanship.
- Timerlane, Forum Admin of the ACGarage.
Lykos
Apex Predator
PSN: Amagu2003
GamerTag: What's an Xbox?

Postby Lykos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 pm

I see this as what AC5 should be I would just tweak it to be 3rd person based.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

Postby Griffon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 am

I saw this myself and was curious, at least as a fallback in case AC5 fails. I'll be keeping my eye on it that's for sure.
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed metabuilds, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Fenrir
RocketMan
PSN: Steel_Scyther

Postby Fenrir » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Yeah, this looks pretty awesome. I'll definitely keep my eye on it. How much I'll like it depends on the level of customization, but it'll probably be fun just to play as an FPS in general too.
dinohito
Raven
PSN: vdulv_avdull

Postby dinohito » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm

I guess, if it is release on but it may cannot greater than '鉄騎-Steel Battalion'.
Steel Battalion is king of FPS (and Robotic mechanical game?)
But I now haven't spaces of put of that controller haha.
bubababavubibi
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm

dinohito wrote:I guess, if it is release on but it may cannot greater than '鉄騎-Steel Battalion'.

Hah, maybe so but I doubt Hawken will cost upwards of $200 :lol:
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed metabuilds, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
Gunmoku
More Like a NONja

Postby Gunmoku » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:21 am

Dropping a short, but sweet overview of the game here, but trying not to reveal too much due to an NDA stapling my mouth shut:

- There is Mech customization: You can build a Mech much like old-school Armored Core by swapping out torsos, legs, and feet (arms are your guns). They don't seem to affect stats on your mech at all, but I will explain what does.

- Talent trees!: Taking a page from an MMO, the game has talent trees focused on aspects like gun damage / utility, movement speed and control, and ECM resistance.

- There is a micro-transaction shop, but you can not spend a dime and still be competitive: While the game does have in-game and real-life currency to buy parts and weapons for your mech, you can still earn decent amounts of currency to spend if you perform decently enough in a match.

- The gameplay is fast and smooth: It plays almost like PS2-era AC, Last Raven-ish, from the first-person perspective in a cockpit.

- The game is VERY well balanced: There is no clear cookie-cutter builds yet, nor do I think it will make a difference. Each mech class and weapon loadout present good advantages and disadvantages only on the utility level, there is no clear power winner.

And some extra details on the game: It will be completely free-to-play with micro-transactions, it goes open Beta on December 12th of this year, PC only so far.
WHO AM I!? I'M SPIDER-MAN!

Bunnies can't do many things, BUT THEY CAN DANCE!!

DESU

Current avie: Itoshiki Nozomu from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei by J-Nav
Griffon
Old Bird

Postby Griffon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Pity it's PC only right now, as I only have a mac and consoles. I got shafted. :x
Fenrir
RocketMan

Postby Fenrir » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:29 am

Forgot all about this game. Signed up for closed beta. We'll see what happens.

Anyone in already? Just browsing the forums it sounds pretty buggy right now.
Parry
Raven
PSN: ParryACO

Postby Parry » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am

Griffon wrote:Pity it's PC only right now, as I only have a mac and consoles. I got shafted. :x

bootcamp it.
"Those who seek Absolute Power are the absolute corruptible."
Gunmoku
More Like a NONja

Postby Gunmoku » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Just letting you folks know, Hawken is now in public beta now. Head over to www.playhawken.com to get started. Friend me in-game as "Gunmoku" if you're joining up.
WHO AM I!? I'M SPIDER-MAN!

Bunnies can't do many things, BUT THEY CAN DANCE!!

DESU

Current avie: Itoshiki Nozomu from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei by J-Nav
Fenrir
RocketMan

Postby Fenrir » Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Just tried this game again. When I first played it a few months ago, I wasn't really impressed. Now it has a lot more polish and is really fun. It's a LOT like AC:V, but with less customization and more balance. Also F2P. The downside is that apart from some of the heavy mechs and the technician, it's all pretty much the same. I'm afraid that once I get over the awesome visuals and sounds (top notch, really. Feels amazing to play this game with a good sound system), I'll get bored and move on to something else.

Anyway, I'm 'Blacksheath' in game, and will probably at least play it off and on this summer. I'll friend you, Gunmoku, though I'm not sure if you're still playing.
Promethius
Ginga Bishounen
PSN: Deathgeese

Postby Promethius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Oh, yeah. Hawken is pretty sweet. I don't play it much as there are other things I'd rather do. But, if I'm in the mood to blow some people up, this is my go-to game. I'm Megacannon in the game.
Zweit
never forget

Postby Zweit » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:57 am

This would be so much better if it wasn't F2P. If anybody still plays this hit me up for a game. I'm Zweit as usual.
Beakers? Of colored liquids? But that must mean -- there's SCIENCE going on here!

Return to “General Media”