Ace Combat:Assault Horizon

Discuss TV, movies, books, and all non-Armored Core games or gaming systems here.

Moderators: Off Topic Mods, AC Moderators

The Dark One
Psychosexy
PSN: TheDarkOne198

Ace Combat:Assault Horizon

Postby The Dark One » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 pm

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/08/10/ac ... er?show=hi

I am hyped about this one.It is apparently a reboot,a common theme,nowadays.The graphics are freaking amazing,too.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Timerlane
Raid Starship

Re: Ace Combat:Assault Horizon

Postby Timerlane » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:46 pm

There's another trailer from TGS, too.

That first one had a few people worried that the series was becoming 'QTE Combat'.

Here's some semi-recent scans from a UK magazine preview/interview with Project Aces, explaining a few things.

Worth noting that it is supposed to be PS3 and X360, this time.
- Timerlane, Forum Admin of the ACGarage.
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:02 pm

damn,them suckers are huge.I noticed the videos on the PS store and already have them on my PS3 :P
I have always fantasized about helicopter combat in this game,or at the least the team that makes the game do a chopper game.
I knew,the moment I saw those vids on the PS Store,it had to be on the PS3.
I was worried anything further in the series would be a 360 exclusive,like 6 was and like what Tecmo did to the DoA series.I am still pissed at that.
I had been wondering if another Ace game was in the works.
That adds this,Project Dark,AC5 (whenever the hell THAT is coming) and Duke Nukem Forever to my want list.Maybe a few others,I can't recall atm.
2011 seems to be a good time,for games that I want to get,haha.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Lykos
Apex Predator
PSN: Amagu2003
GamerTag: What's an Xbox?

Postby Lykos » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNYruNnBzc

AND THIS IS WHY I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS GAME!!! :D
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:23 pm

oh,yeah.I have never seen so much going on at once.There is so much action.It's like they rebuilt the series,from the ground up.I guess,since this is a reboot of this series,it makes sense.I wonder if it is 3D capable? I'm about to get a new TV,which may have 3D capability.Even if this game doesn't,I can't wait.This game will blow all other games like it,including HAWX and previous Ace Combat games.I hope it comes out this year!

Edit:The CRA feature has me drooling to no end.I can't wait to chew up enemy planes with guns,gun fighting was always one of my favorite things in Ace Combat and this will make it even more thrilling!
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Lykos
Apex Predator

Postby Lykos » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Hell yea!

I immediately sold my copy of HAWX2 just to get this reserved. I'm not one for shiny details, bump mapping and all the looks but the CRA had me sold from that trailer. Project Aces is on the way for refreshing the Arcade shooters and I hope they keep the vision until stateside release.

PS: You do know this means I'm adding you at my PSN Friend list. 8)
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 pm

haha,oh yeah,it's all good,at 15,000 feet,lol
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Lykos
Apex Predator

Postby Lykos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 am

Strange...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Wcbe3ETMg

Its like your playing Modern Warfare 2: killstreaks edition! :D :D
Huckebein the raven
Raven

Postby Huckebein the raven » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 pm

and thats why im not going to look at it anymore,if any of you havent noticed yet(which is imposible) the Ace community
is having infighting because of this game.some are saying that it is starting to turn into somewhat of a CoD lookalike,and i for one agree
and im not liking it.now dont start a discussion over it,it looks good,but they should have left it as it is.
you CAN'T and DON'T need to fix something that is not broken.that's all i got to say,thanks for listening.
Deathlok
101st
PSN: BossJ592

Postby Deathlok » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I can see the comparison , but I'm still pumped to get this game.... soley for the Apaches.
And I hate COD , same game with different skins since the awsomness that was 1 and 2.

Rainbow Six 4 Life :lol:
Join the team , add my PSN
-Battlefield Bad Company 2 , 1943
-Front Mission Evolved
-GranTurismo 5
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 pm

To be honest,I have never played any of the CoD or Rainbow Six games,so I am not able to compare.That will likely mean I will love it,since it will feel new.While,I would feel fine if they stuck to the same old formula,the problem is that it would be the same old formula.It may not be broken,but it is dated and from what I have heard,the new thing for close range fighting does not have to be used.You can still take down those bogeys from a far ways off with missiles,just like the old days.Also,I bet you don't HAVE to use the new system,I bet you can gun down enemies like you could before.I may be wrong,though.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Lykos
Apex Predator

Postby Lykos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:05 am

If you look at the vids carefully you will see that you must line up and input a prompt to get the CRA activated. So my thinking, which is usually 70% spot-on, if you want a chance to down an opponent with improved chances you must use the CRA feature or you could missile spam/shoot your vulcan regularly with minimal results.

I'd opt for the more exciting CRA feature. 8)
Mobius 1
Raven
PSN: Virtuous_Seraph
GamerTag: Hawk0fEndymion

Postby Mobius 1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:11 am

As a person who's been a hardcore fan of the Ace Combat series for years and years, I can safely say that I'm SO VERY hyped for this release. The shiny graphics and the new flight tricks are all very nice, and the helicopter and gunship missions are new and cool, but as long as that basic skill behind the stick of a fighter is what gets you through in the end like it has for so many iterations (which I doubt Project ACES was daft enough to remove), then I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

And who knows? Maybe this time, the last mission won't culminate in a tunnel flight like it does every single time. [amirite]
より多くの成果を獲得することで、存在意義を達成する
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Mobius 1 wrote:And who knows? Maybe this time, the last mission won't culminate in a tunnel flight like it does every single time. [amirite]

I don't know,I always loved that really high speed tunnel flight in the second to last mission on Ace Combat 5.It always got my blood moving.It's true,that the tunnel mission has been done as much as the "don't fly above the canyon or you get your ass shot down by impossible to avoid missisles" missions.I remember in Ace 2,the canyon missions made you just simply die when you flew too high,with nary a missile to be seen.Just,BOOM and your dead.I'm sure there will be the ever present canyon mission on AC:AH,all the same.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Timerlane
Raid Starship

Postby Timerlane » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 am

By the by, there's a demo out(not that I have a next-gen system to try it out, but thought I'd pass the info along).
Lykos
Apex Predator

Postby Lykos » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Downloaded and I must say the new control scheme simplifies the game thought it took a while to get used to since I'm used to the original system. Then the apache part was a culture shock for me since I never piloted a helicopter in any flight game before. Which is a nice break from the mach speeds before jet fighting becomes stale. I will however hope that there is more to the game than what the demo offered because while it was impressive, a small part of me has that bad feeling that this might follow the trend of awesome trailers>decent demo>one time play-through>bargin bin. I really hope I'm wrong.... :(
Timerlane
Raid Starship

Postby Timerlane » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:46 pm

I believe you can change the controls back to something more normal in an options menu somewhere.

Reviews are still kinda mixed, though.
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Switch the aircraft control to "classic" and it will feel more old school,but still took me a little while to get used to DFM.It was neat though.The only problem I had with the aircraft mission was the part where you had to get the enemy to pass you.I had a brain fart and wasn't getting what it was telling me.Then,just after getting killed,I figured it out and smacked myself in the head for not leveling my plane out,like I knew I could,lol.I also had a small problem with my hands thinking it was HAWX,haha.Got over that pretty quick,though.

As for the chopper mission,my only problem were the controls,until I switched it to "type B" and felt right at home with it.I felt more natural ascending and descending with the shoulder buttons than with X and O.I kept wanting to fire missiles/rockets with circle and guns with X,like with the aircraft.Messed with my head,lol.I'm glad they put that type B in.

The game is definitely different than anything I have played and I think I will enjoy it no matter how it is when it is finished.Just because it is one of a kind,as far as I can tell.

My biggest complaint is the music,especially on the aircraft mission.It felt really repetitive and generic.I hope it is different on the final cut.
AV courtesy of HAPPY!
Parry
Raven
PSN: ParryACO

Postby Parry » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 pm

The Apache was a little clunky and the ability to dodge was pretty retarded (herp derp barrel roll in a chopper)

From playing the demo it seems you have unlimited Flares, just with a cooldown.

Don't really like the new Dogfighting system, since it kinda makes the game easy mode in the demo.

Had more fun in the AH-64 despite the occasional invisible missile that instagibs you. (IE doesn't appear on radar nor is visible), but so far both sides feel solid. AH-64's cockpit looked amazingly detailed too.

Jets still feel the same, or the F-22 does compared to older games in the demo. Hopefully the MiG-29 gets a buff, been seeing its stats get nerfed constantly since Ace Combat 4.
"Those who seek Absolute Power are the absolute corruptible."
The Dark One
Psychosexy

Postby The Dark One » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

yeah,I miss the way planes were on Air Combat,waaaay back in the day.With the major exceptions of the F-117 (which intentionally sucks because it is the first stealth plane you get,I suppose) and the F-4 (which was lame because it was the beginner jet and was out shined in almost every way by the F-14),every plane on Air Combat had it's own distinct advantages and disadvantages.Even though I think the SU-27 was better than the MiG-29 on there,overall as well,but that should be expected.As for the F-22 on there,it felt pretty good,as the F-22 should.I hope this game has a HUGE amount of planes on it,even more than Ace Combat 5.

I don't think I ever had that invisible missile problem on the Apache.It might have been an RPG that was hitting you?
AV courtesy of HAPPY!

Return to “General Media”