Trying to write some fan-fic? HELP?!

Discuss your favorite fanfic here, or talk about anything fanfic related.

Moderator: AC Moderators

shurikenlord13
Raven
PSN: iStompya

Trying to write some fan-fic? HELP?!

Postby shurikenlord13 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:33 am

I was considering trying to write some fan-fic of my own, its my first time writing something with bulk to it, but im not expecting it to be a standout, or even very good at all, but more of a learning experience for me.

To start, with, i was wondering what people would be interested in reading as my first attempt at a story of sorts. I have a few ideas to begin with, but any suggestions would be appreciated, as inpiration is all i seem to be strugling with at the moment. A few of my ideas include:
-A semi narration of an older AC game, like nexus, or silent line. (not completely based on the game but using it as a kind of loose framework for a storyline)
-A story based on my AC and pilot, except not in any of the AC settings, maybe including some other famous pilots in the mix?
-Something from the veiwpoint of one of the ruling companies and their 'ELITE' personal stable of pilots. (if so, what company should i choose? im not sure about some of the other games, but i was thinking KISARGI {not sure if i spelt it right}, or Akvavit.

What do you all think i should do? (btw, i want to stress that if anyone plans on reading this, dont expect much, constuctive criticism would be very much appreciated once i start posting what i've done. :) )

NORTHLANDERS! -- unit 00

History: AUSSIE DEMONS! -- unit 13

Proud rev-joint pilot since AC4
Armored core veteran since ACN
Wanabe Metalhed
Raven
GamerTag: Wanabe Metalhed

Re: Trying to write some fan-fic? HELP?!

Postby Wanabe Metalhed » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Feel free to pm me anything you have at any point in the creative process. I love helping people with this stuff.

And if you want you can use my pilot as an enemy, I've got him down as a kind of an antihero. I'll send you his full bio if you want.
Squall wrote:
Wanabe Metalhed wrote:
Chevalier wrote:Insert normal ChaseNetwork statements here.

Insert standard unusually bitter comeback here.

Insert angry, argumentative retort and unreasonable, un-enforcable demand to get back on topic, followed up by a lewd comment.
shurikenlord13
Raven

Postby shurikenlord13 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 pm

yea, that would be cool, ive kinda got my main 2 characters, but i cant start writing till the weekend cause im super busy all week.

NORTHLANDERS! -- unit 00

Griffon
Old Bird
PSN: Griffon_ACG

Postby Griffon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:13 pm

A good idea is to start by reading some of the fanfics here ("Day of the White Lance" and "Kur's Dissension" are a couple of my personal favorites), and find out what makes a story interesting or uninteresting for you. Learn by that. ;)
Armored Core has changed.
It's no longer about recreation, originality or ability. It's an endless series of xeroxed metabuilds, made by copycats and sheep. Armored Core, and its consumption of time, has become a hackneyed ruse. Armored Core has changed. Unoriginal players pilot unoriginal ACs, use unoriginal setups. Overpowered weapons on their mech atrophy and degenerate their abilities. Design copying. Weapon copying. Player copying. Tactic copying. Everything is observed, and then copied. Armored Core has changed.
shurikenlord13
Raven

Postby shurikenlord13 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Will do, I'm halfwy through one of clefj's fics, I'm enjoying it heaps, but I write more in bulk sections, not sure if that more solid blocks of writing is too hard for peiple to read and follow apose to clefs more segmented writing style. :)

NORTHLANDERS! -- unit 00

shurikenlord13
Raven

Postby shurikenlord13 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm

So, heres some of what i started last night, ill repost this in the content section under what i have as (probably a bit too tacky) a title.

No! That can’t be right!
The readouts spewing down the monitor puzzled Hex. “That can’t be right!?” she thought aloud, attracting confused looks from the other occupants of the small study space. The reflection of her crystal blue eyes hovering just above the top of the numbers, displayed across the screen. “These results just don’t make any sense? Why are they so irregular?” Hex had been testing her new equipment for months now, but still didn’t trust the results she had been getting enough to take it into battle. “Dammed separatists” Apparently the cheaper cost of acquiring the parts had not been worth the risk...

Meanwhile, deep underground, a shadowy figure stood in the back of his newly acquired hangar. Surrounded by the empty space around him, and the service elevator to the surface behind him, confident in his newfound abilities weaned from long hours of studying in the academy workshops the man smiled. Untouchable by anyone or any influence from the surface, all the extortion of higher powers had finally payed off; he was ready to begin his work.

Hex stormed out of the academy study, deciding that she needed to let of some steam before she tested Blackout again. She couldn’t understand why her supposedly new model laserblade persistently malfunctioned and failed to engage.

If any critiques are to be made, and/or comments and suggestions, please make them here. That would be much appreciated, thanks.

NORTHLANDERS! -- unit 00

ClefJ
The Seraphim
GamerTag: ClefJ

Postby ClefJ » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:22 pm

For a few paragraphs, good. Always good to ensure a proper setting for a story so we can ground these characters, keep that in mind.
"Clef Cross built an Armored Core in a CAVE... with a box full of SCRAPS."
shurikenlord13
Raven

Postby shurikenlord13 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks, i am planning to write a little about the setting that preceeds the actuall story, but i think that these few paragraphs are giving a person a good idea of the situation. :)

(good guy buys dodgy parts, bad guy uses profit to fuel his ambitions, and given the AC theme, its not hard to figure out what his ambitions are.)

NORTHLANDERS! -- unit 00

shurikenlord13
Raven

Postby shurikenlord13 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 am

okay, so here's that prolouge i was going to write to set the scene, please let me know if there is enough detail here or if there needs to be more. (the scene is after the first ACFA story ending)

After the stabilisation of the league of ruling companies, NEXT battle had become somewhat of a sport, used to retain a pilot’s skills during times of peace. Great Academies were founded on each of the great continents, the West, the East and Central landmasses; America, Asia and Africa respectively and were used to train the next generation of elite NEXT pilots. Although the government has stabilized for now, small rebel organisations, popping up to disturb the peace is not uncommon. The elite NEXT pilots use these occasions for sport, some distaining from arena combat altogether in favour of hunting down these rebels. But until they manage to obtain any NEXT’s, these rebels will be nothing more than a tiny speck on the screen that is the unchallenged rule of the three companies remaining after the great war; Omer, GA and Algebra.

NORTHLANDERS! -- unit 00

Return to “Fan Fiction Discussion”